Well, we come to the end of another year. For tbk Creative, this marks the completion of our second year in business as a web design & social marketing agency.
Here are 7 things I’m particularly proud of:
1. Revenue – In terms of revenue, tbk Creative doubled in size. Surprisingly, this month we actually had our best month in history, exceeding any other previous month by over 100%. Considering it was only a 3-week month for the company (I’ve been on holidays), I’m quite delighted to report this.
2. Speaking – I launched a career in public speaking. Those that know me, know this is important to me. Perhaps, it’s because I used to have a ferocious fear of speaking in public (I hate screwing up in front of people). Or perhaps, at some level, I want my life to mean something and leave a positive mark on others. Or perhaps, I just enjoy being the centre of attention. Either way, I got the privilege of delivering a dozen or so social media marketing workshop/keynotes this year for professional organizations and academic institutions and will be speaking more nationally and in the U.S. in 2012.
3. Our Work – I’m very proud of our agency’s creative work for clients this year. Sometimes people confuse me as the Creative Maverick behind tbk Creative’s work. I think this is because our agency made a strategic decision last year that I’d be the public and media face of the company (call me a glorified Accounts/PR guy). Although, I have a deep grasp of causing marketing communications that influences and manage most of our clients’ strategy development, Melissa McInerney is the agency’s Creative Director and is the person who really causes our work to visually stimulate.
4. Commitment – I’m proud of the enormous devotion of Paul MacLean (who Heads our Digital Production) and Melissa McInerney (who Heads our Creative Production). The last few months, none of us have known what a regular work day is. The two of them have been working around the clock to get client projects done while maintaining our high standard of quality. You two really are amazing at what you do. It’ll all pay off in the end.
5. Strategic Partnerships – This year, we’ve established an exciting and mutually beneficial partnership with the London Free Press. Each month, tbk Creative reports to the Free Press readers, the State of London on Twitter. From what we can all tell, its the first relationship of its kind in social media and news media history. You can read the December 2011 report here and the November 2011 report here.
6. Local & National Media – Our work is more frequently gaining local and national coverage and I’m getting called by news media groups (such as LFP, Toronto Star, Metro London, BX93, CBC Manitoba) more frequently to comment on hot social media and marketing topics. We work hard to produce work worth reporting and we’re grateful for the coverage when it’s warranted. Here are some recent news articles that involved or featured our agency – Business London, Toronto Star, Metro London, Yahoo! News, The Chronicle Herald, and CBC Nova Scotia.
7. Our Clients – Aside from it being part of our corporate mission, there’s something personally gratifying when our clients reach milestones and cause breakthroughs that change the course of their corporate lives. I feel like 10 years from today, many of our clients will have established themselves as the whales in the marketplace. For me, it’s a beautiful experience to watch their brands gradually grow towards this. There are too many mentions to make in this article, but a small handful that come to mind are: 1) Dunsire Gibson Inc. securing their first large scale real estate development project in Kitchener called Mill Creek Village, 2) Emotion Dance Company opening their doors for the first time as one of Guelph’s premiere dance studios, 3) Millars Law having a big year with media sticky legal proceedings and getting ready to open their second office in London Ontario in the New Year, 4) Custom Mobility having another outstanding year of growth and opening their second location in London. I’m also proud of our larger and older clients who consistently perform well year over year. Groups such as Siskinds The Law Firm, Obsidian Group Inc. (Crabby Joe’s, Coffee Culture, and Union Burger brands), Dispenser Amenities, and Leavens Volkswagen, to name a few.
The End of The Year
The end of a year is a good and common time to reflect, and strategically plan for the next year. The New Year is an interesting phenomenon where many of us feel like we have another fresh start. Although this is made up in our heads, I think this line of thought can support us. We can re-focus on performing gratifying work, narrow back in one what our true goals are and how we can achieve them, and to re-think what it takes to be great.
From the truest place in my heart: I wish you a New Year of creating what matters most to you.
If you want more of these web design and social media marketing thoughts delivered to your inbox for free, you can subscribe here.
Andrew Schiestel is the Chief of WOW! Projects at tbk Creative, a web design & social marketing agency that instigates and accelerates consumer action around brands. To contact Andrew about speaking at your upcoming web marketing & communications event, click here. Andrew can be followed on Twitter here.