Position: Senior Back End Developer
Type: Full-time; Salary
No. of Positions: 1
Salary: To be discussed
Group Benefits: Yes
Start Date: July 2, 2019
Reports to: Andre Lefort, VP Technology
You are someone who values elegant solutions to complex business problems. You’re compelled to design, build and document some of the country’s best software platforms and you do so passionately. Writing in PHP and working within major CMSs like WordPress inspires you and you are acutely attuned to improving process and the quality and delivery of your work. You thrive in a team environment and value the ability to focus on and solve challenging problems. You value open and effortless communication within your team and the entire organization. You value being relied upon by your team members and You are inspired to collaborate with other team members while providing excellent value to not only your clients but tbk Creative. You are a role model for your team and are passionate about mentoring and supporting your team members to become continually better in their positions.
The responsibilities of the Senior Back End Developer role includes:
- Write clean, and reusable PHP code within CMS platforms like WordPress themes and plugins for clients of all sizes but especially medium and large ones.
- Adherence to tbk Creative’s standards for writing PHP code.
- Integrate systems via web services and APIs to support our clients’ marketing needs, ensuring quality, robustness and appropriate error proofing.
- Adherence to WCAG 2.0 guidelines when authoring and managing digital work products.
- Guide and advise on the early prototyping of new software solutions that solve business problems and improve tbk Creative or our clients’ businesses.
- Write effective tests to support unit testing goals set within the department.
- Collaborate with designers and account representatives to complete tasks related to our clients’ marketing and technology needs.
- Provide mentorship to development team members in a way that supports their learning goals, improves them as professionals and strengthens the quality of the solutions created.
- Solve technical problems and present solutions to other developers, account representatives and graphic designers.
- Continually offer ways to improve development processes.
- Provide the development team and accounts team with the technical assistance and resources that they need to do their job excellently.
- Provide sound architectural guidance on the technology stack and software implementations required to deliver on internal and client projects.
- Exceed targets set for the development of software modules.
- Provide project status updates to the Development Operations Manager, applicable accounts team members and leadership.
- Identify project risks and provide solutions to mitigate or avoid such risk.
- Attend and contribute to the daily Scrum Stand-up; listen and support the entire development team.
- Improve any and all areas of development process within the development team.
- Support in managing network and server infrastructure for client websites and digital products as required.
- Minimum 8 years professional experience designing and implementing websites in the PHP scripting language.
- Minimum 5-year professional experience designing and implementing WordPress themes and plugins.
- Minimum 5-year professional experience writing, analyzing and optimizing MySQL queries.
- University degree or college diploma in engineering, programming, software development, software design or web design.
- Strong understanding of design patterns, general web functions and industry standards.
- Prior experience within a quality assurance (QA) role or QA process within a project. Knowledge of unit testing, continuous integration and industry standards for coding styles.
- Deep functional knowledge or hands-on design experience with Web Services (REST, SOAP, etc.).
- Strong grasp of security principles and how they apply to e-commerce applications and the protection of sensitive information.
- Prior experience with Git source control management process within an agile structure.
- Working knowledge of PHP frameworks and their concepts. Some include but aren’t limited to: CodeIgniter, Symfony, Laravel, Zend Framework.
To apply for this role, please send a cover letter and resume to: jointheteam@tbkCreative.com.
A message from the president at tbk Creative, Andrew Schiestel:
tbk takes care in producing some of Canada’s most effective web design, branding, digital marketing and marketing software solutions. The company is comprised of 39 team members and is based in downtown London, ON. right across from beautiful Victoria Park.
Our company has been recognized for many industry and business awards and for that we’re grateful. For instance, in 2019—and for four consecutive years (2016-2019)—tbk was named Top Web Design Provider in London by Consumer Choice Award. In 2016, tbk was named Small Business of the Year at the London Chamber’s Business Achievement Awards and in 2019, tbk has been named a finalist for Medium-Sized Business of the Year at the same Awards.
By joining our team, you’ll be part of the company’s mission to help make businesses better through effective and intelligent use of technological and creative solutions. Some of our current clients include 3M® Canada, Extendicare Canada Inc., Hino® Canada, Jiffy Lube® Ontario (59 stores), Yogen Fruz® and Lerners LLP. You may also be involved in projects with tbk’s affiliated company, AODA Online, which is one of Canada’s most popular web accessibility software.
I respect every team member at tbk Creative because they have a sincere desire to produce high-quality solutions that make businesses better while creating an enjoyable and vibrant work environment for everyone. If you feel like you’d jive as a tbk employee and fit the requirements of this position, we look forward to hearing from you.
Together, we can make things better.
Below is a video produced by the Local Employment Planning Council that features tbk Creative as a technology employer in our community:
To apply for this role, please send a cover letter and resume to jointheteam@tbkCreative.com.