Position: Associate Intern
Start Date: January 7, 2019
End Date: April 16, 2019
Reports To: Kylie McConnell, Director of Accounts
Associate Intern Position:
tbk Creative is hiring an Associate Intern for the Winter 2019 period. To thrive in this role, you’re someone who is a great communicator (written and verbal), you thrive on things in your life being organized and tidy, you’re a self-starter, and you’re looking to serve a greater mission.
A message from the president of tbk Creative, Andrew Schiestel:
tbk Creative is one of Canada’s highest quality providers of web design and digital marketing solutions. The company employs 23 staff members and is based in downtown London, Ontario across from beautiful Victoria Park.
In 2016, the company was awarded “Small Business of the Year” at the London Chamber of Commerce Business Achievement Awards, and in 2018 tbk Creative was named both top “Web Design” provider (three consecutive years – 2016, 2017, & 2018) and top “Online Marketing” provider in London, Ontario by Consumer Choice Award.
By joining our team, you will be a key part to tbk Creative’s daily mission of helping iconic brands become formidable online. Some of our current clients include 3M® Canada, Hino® Motors Canada, Jiffy Lube® Ontario (59 stores), Yogen Fruz®, and Lerners LLP. You may also be involved in projects with tbk Creative’s affiliated company, AODA Online, which is one of Canada’s most popular web accessibility softwares.
Our team is eager to form a partnership with the right candidate that allows you to contribute to the success of our clients while you develop and add new proven skills to your repertoire and resume.
And to get a better sense of our culture, below is an enjoyable video of two of our team members getting a delightful surprise at the start of the year:
- 15-20 hours per week
- Working on-site at tbk Creative’s downtown London, Ontario office (562 Wellington Street)
- Hours will be split across 3-4 business days
Throughout the duration of the internship, the successful applicant will support the team in some (or all) of the following initiatives (not limited to):
- Social Media Marketing
- Website content migration
- Media Outreach (PR)
- Press release writing
- Print vendor coordination
- Email Marketing
- CRM / database building
- Industry research projects
- Quality assurance tasks for web development
- Social media editorial calendar writing and copywriting
Throughout the duration of the internship, the successful applicant will:
- Gain an understanding of how blogging and social media fit inside a marketing plan.
- Improve copywriting skills through brand-specific copywriting tasks.
- Obtain a better understanding of how Search Engine Optimization (SEO) works.
- Learn how to successfully run email marketing programs.
- Develop a basic understanding of the best quality assurance practices for web development.
- Obtain a better understanding of some of the key practices in the marketing industry (branding, press releases, website development, content marketing, etc.).
- Witness and participate in client relations and communications.
- Develop project management and time management skills tailored specifically to the web design and digital marketing industry.
- Gain a better understanding of WordPress, the world’s most popular content management system (CMS) and tbk Creative’s primary CMS of choice.
Skills for Success
The tbk Creative team will mentor you as you develop skills related to the web design and digital marketing industry, however, to be successful in our internship program, we encourage applicants to have an established foundation of skills, including the following:
- Strong Self-Motivation
- Care for Doing Great Work
- Critical Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication
- High Level of Proficiency and Comfort with Technology
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Social Media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.)
- Desktop Publishing (e.g., Adobe Creative Suites), Video Editing, and WordPress Experience (preferable, but not essential)
- Not Afraid to Ask Questions (curiosity is key when researching topics of interest)
What Past Interns Say
Erica Getliffe (May 2016 – August 2016), Associate Intern says:
“My time at tbk Creative as an Intern has been an incredible learning opportunity. They have redefined the meaning of hard work and empowered me to find my own success throughout the internship process. tbk Creative has given me the tools to succeed in my future business endeavours and has motivated me to be accountable for my goals. It has further built my confidence and allowed me to take on new challenges. I continue to grow as a result of a supportive and hands-on team, and I look forward to seeing the future success of tbk Creative.” (Here is Erica’s journal of her time at tbk Creative)
Lisa Munro (July 2017 – August 2017), Associate Intern says:
“I leave tbk Creative with a heavy heart but excited for the future. My internship experience has provided professional and personal development that prepares me well for my future communications career. I can’t wait to continue my journey and will remember my time at tbk Creative fondly. I’d like to thank Megan Hutchinson and Kylie McConnell for their guidance and mentorship along the way.”
To apply for this opportunity, you may send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by November 23, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Your application should include a cover letter and resume, and you may be asked to complete a creative writing assessment as part of the interview requirements.